Narrative Writing: "Show Don't Tell" Technique By: Dinzei Maureen Marris

 Narrative Writing: "Show Don't Tell by Dinzei Maureen Marris 


What Is Narrative Writing?

Narrative writing is writing that tells a story or describes a sequence of events involving characters, a setting and a plot.

A narrative can be:

* real or imaginary;

* written in the first person or third person;

* serious, humorous, mysterious or exciting.

Simple Narrative Structure

Beginning → Development → Climax → Resolution

For example:

Beginning: A boy discovers that he has lost his phone.

Development: He searches everywhere for it.

Climax: He discovers that someone has taken it.

Resolution: He finds the person responsible and gets his phone back.

Features of Narrative Writing

1. Characters

The people, animals or other beings involved in the story.

2. Setting

The place and time where the story happens.

3. Plot

The sequence of events in the story.

4. Conflict

The problem or struggle faced by a character.

5. Climax

The most exciting, important or tense point of the story.

6. Resolution

How the problem or conflict is resolved.

7. Dialogue

Words spoken by characters.

8. Description

Details that help the reader imagine people, places and events.

9. Sensory language

Descriptions involving:

* sight

* sound

* smell

* taste

* touch

10. Figurative language

For example:

* simile

* metaphor

* personification

* imagery

 The “Show, Don’t Tell” Technique

Showing means allowing the reader to understand a character's feelings, personality or situation through actions, dialogue, body language, thoughts and sensory details, instead of simply stating the information.

Tell:

Sarah was frightened.

Show:

Sarah's hands trembled as she stared at the dark doorway. Her heart hammered against her chest.

The second example allows the reader to experience Sarah's fear.

 Show, Don't Tell Examples












Sample IGCSE-Style Question 1

Question

Write a story which includes the sentence:

“I knew immediately that something was wrong.”

Model Answer

I knew immediately that something was wrong.

The house was unusually quiet. Normally, I could hear my little brother arguing with my sister before I even opened the gate. That afternoon, however, there was nothing.

I pushed the door open slowly.

“Hello?” I called.

No answer.

My eyes moved around the room. The television was still on, but the sofa cushions had been thrown onto the floor. A glass lay beside the table, its broken pieces glittering beneath the ceiling light.

Then I heard it.

A soft scratching sound came from upstairs.

My heart began to pound.

I climbed the stairs, placing one foot carefully after another. The scratching grew louder. When I reached the landing, I noticed that my parents' bedroom door was slightly open.

“Who is there?” I whispered.

The door moved.

I froze.

Suddenly, my little brother burst out of the room.

“Surprise!”

I jumped backwards.

Behind him stood my family, laughing. Balloons covered the room, and a huge birthday cake sat on the table.

For a moment, I simply stared.

Then I laughed.

All the fear that had tightened my chest disappeared.

“You nearly gave me a heart attack!” I shouted.

My brother grinned.

“That was the plan.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Clock Summary by Dinzei Maureen Marris

International Conference 2025

WASSCE 2024 LEXIS AND STRUCTURE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS BY: DINZEI MAUREEN MARRIS