SPEECH WORK: VOWEL SOUNDS

  Vowels /I/ and /i:/


/I/ is a short vowel.

The spelling variants and word examples are:
‘a’ – adage, village, palace
‘e’ – Peter, between, English
 ‘u’ – busy, minutes
‘ei’  - foreign
 ‘ie’ – chief, thief
‘y’ – busy , myth
 o – women
‘I’  sit, pin, bin.

/i:/ is a long vowel 
The spelling variant and words example are:
‘a’ quay
‘ae’ – Caesar, aesthetic
‘e’ – eve, procedure
‘ee’ feed, weed, seed
‘ea’ – neat, peak, real
‘ei’ receive, deceive
‘I’  machine, prestige
‘ie’ relieve,believe
‘oe’ amoeba, oesophagus
‘ui’ suite
‘eo’ people.

Contrast.

/I:/ /i:/
hit heat
hill heel
sit seat
sin seen
dim deem
will wheel
list least
dip deep
lip leap
fill feel
bitch beach

You can listen to the audio version @ https://www.facebook.com/2389470271083649/posts/3531025840261414/

Exercise
Write down five words each which contain vowels /I/ and /i:/

Write down your answers in the comment session
https://blozzomeveryday.blogspot.com


Comments

/i/
Fit
Pin
Pit
Bin
Sit


/i:/
Eat
Feel
Sheet
Beach
Cheap





Popular posts from this blog

TEACHERS' CONFERENCE 2023

EDUCATION CONFERENCE PROGRAMME OF EVENTS